What is B2B Leads Data?
B2B leads data offers an efficient and cost-effective way for companies to get in contact with prospective customers; it’s the modern and economical version of door-to-door selling. This data type includes information about people from different organisations who engage with a company’s advertisements, websites, or products. This may consist of data attributes such as contact information, working title, psychographic information (intent), or ad impression data. B2B leads data can also be used to enrich first-party information about a set of prospects to gather a more holistic understanding about the key decision makers in a given company. All in all, it allows for a comprehensive view over the target audience’s online behaviour.
How to use B2B Leads Data and for which use cases?
Sales and marketing professionals use B2B leads data to track down in-depth information on prospective customers. Purchasing this information from B2B leads data providers is a solution that saves time and boosts productivity, given that it eliminates the need to trawl the web in search of lead details. Users of the data can quickly find, connect, and engage with the right contacts, enabling them to increase sales and drive growth.
The data gained in this way is used in direct marketing campaigns, such as through telemarketing or email campaigns. Some specific use cases for B2B leads data include:
- Making content decisions - seeing engagement rates related to content type
- Static retargeting - understanding when and why prospects leave the company website
- Audience modelling - comparing 3rd party audiences to 1st party segments
- Prospect analysis - discovering which actions/behaviour lead to conversion
- Demographic targeting - localizing the key decision makers in a prospect company
What are typical B2B Leads Data attributes?
B2B leads data lists are available by job, department, and industry, allowing you to target the important decision-makers required by your business.
The information you could potentially acquire from a B2B leads data aggregator may include the following details:
- Contact information (name, email address, phone number)
- Company information (company name, company phone number, postal address)
- Demographics (job function/title, gender, age)
- B2B purchase intent (signals from online behaviour)
- Social media links (Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, Google)
How is B2B Leads Data typically collected?
There are a variety of ways in which B2B leads data can be obtained, besides through a data vendor. The method best suited for you would depend on your specific use case.
On the whole, this data type can be sourced from:
- Native databases — first party data collected from user accounts on applications and platforms (e.g. Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, and Google)
- Fingerprinting — unique characteristics about a device such as: IP - address, browser version, time zone etc. collected upon a website visit session
- Browser cookies — attributes about the web page visit, such as the name of the site, products viewed, pages visited etc. collected upon multiple visits on different webpages
- B2B audience data aggregation companies (data vendors) - aggregated and formatted audience data from a mixture of data providers, publishers, and other sources. Most third-party data vendors rely on browser cookies as the central mechanism for their raw data collection
How to assess the quality of B2B Leads Data?
Before your marketing campaigns can be tested and consequently optimised, the first step would be to ensure that your emails or calls are being sent out to an accurate and up-to-date database of leads. The principle of quality over quantity is undoubtedly applicable to B2B leads data. Clean and verified data leads to greater conversions and more sales – it would be pointless to contact a lead on your list that isn’t actually within your target audience or is no longer employed at a prospective company.
Email verification tools can be used to check that your contacts are active and valid. In a 3-step process, these tools filter out email addresses that are incorrectly formatted, confirms the domain name associated with each email, and finally uses SMTP (Simple Mail Transfer Protocol) to contact the mail server and check whether it can receive messages.
However, by only purchasing verified lead information in the first place, you can save time and money on verifying the database through a third party tool or building your own list of leads from scratch. To further enhance the quality of the data, data vendors may use real time email verification, which verifies the information as and when it is downloaded by the user.
How is B2B Leads Data typically priced?
The B2B leads data provider collects all the information needed to produce a list of contact information for leads in your target industry, which can be used to strategically seek out and engage with the right contacts. These lists can be bought through annual or monthly subscription plans, with the differentiating factor between packages being the number of users or amount of leads you can gain access to per month. The data can often be made available for you to download within just minutes after purchasing it.
Enterprise customers can also get custom packages tailored for their specific requirements by contacting the data vendor.
What are the common challenges when buying B2B Leads Data?
Possessing accurate data containing a comprehensive profile of individuals will reduce the number of inactive or non-existent addresses in your database, therefore reducing the likelihood of having your emails bounce back. Experiencing a high rate of undelivered emails can also damage your sender reputation, which would mean that the emails you send out will increasingly land in the recipients’ spam folder. With an up-to-date list of B2B leads data, your emails will be successfully delivered, reach the main inbox folder and ultimately get through to more decision-makers.
Some providers may update their leads databases sporadically, which isn’t ideal if you find that a recipient has left their job since the database was last refreshed. Purchasing from a provider that verifies email addresses in real time, right before you download the details, will allow you to direct your campaigns to the right people and establish real connections with your potential customers.
What’s the difference between B2B contact data and B2B leads data?
In a nutshell, data on B2B leads combines contact information gained from B2B contact data with the contacts’ interest in the product / service and an intention to purchase.
B2B contact data primarily focuses purely on the contact information of potential customers, while B2B leads data can be based on a certain demographic or intent signals, taking you a step further in guaranteeing the contacts’ interest in the industry or product. B2B contact data can be used in conjunction with other data sets to elevate the information and get you closer to securing customers.
What to ask B2B Leads Data providers?
- Does the data provider offer B2B leads data for the sector in which I operate?
- How is the data collected?
- How frequently is the information in the database updated?
- How can I export the leads? Can I easily download leads into an Excel .csv file or export them directly to my CRM?
- Can I exclude/suppress contacts on the database that I already have?