The Ultimate Guide to Swaps Data 2021
What is Swaps Data?
Swaps data is data that includes agreements between two counterparties to trade financial instruments or cashflows or payments for a specific time. The general swaps data can also be known as a series of forwarding deals through which two parties exchange business instruments, resulting in a common set of exchange dates and two streams of instruments. Swaps data is essentially information about over-the-counter contracts among companies or financial institutions. Swaps data involves a custom-tailored bilateral contract in which cash flows are defined by applying a prearranged formula for exchanging assets.
How is Swaps Data collected?
Swaps data collection is a method in which the data on various swap agreements, properties, assets, financial data, and cashflow is collected. Here are some ways in which we can collect swaps data:
Broker surveys: Swaps data providers can conduct surveys online, across email, over the phone or in person to get information on swaps directly from the brokers facilitating the exchange.
Transactional data tracking: This data comes from the website/online pixels or cookies. Transactional data can give you valuable insights about swaps data and all the dealings of financial instruments between two parties. This information can give you insights regarding how many financial instruments are exchanged between two parties, what types of instruments are most popular, and how often traders deal with them.
What are the attributes of Swaps Data?
The major attributes of swaps data are:
- Interest rate swaps data: An interest rate swap is a contractual understanding to exchange a series of cash flows. One leg of cash flow is based on a secured interest rate and the other leg is based on a free interest rate over a period of time.
- Currency swaps data: Currency swaps data is the data that covers the details about the cash flows of one currency traded with cash flows in another currency. A currency swap is related to an interest rate swap.
- Basis swaps data: A basis swap involves a constant exchange of cash flows, both of which are based on floating interest rates.
What is Swaps Data used for?
Here are some of the main uses of swaps data:
- To build either synthetic fixed or floating rate mortgages or assets
- To hedge on adverse movements
- As an asset-liability administration tool
- To overcome funding costs by using the comparative advantage that each counterparty has in the set/floating rate markets
- For dealing in financial instruments.
How can a user assess the quality of Swaps Data?
Swaps data quality can be divided into data completeness, data precision, data efficiency and data consistency.
- Data completeness: A swaps dataset with a minimum amount of missing features can be termed as complete data.
- Data precision: Precision is the degree of detail about swaps that are shown in a uniform space.
- Data accuracy: This is the discrepancy between the original attributes value and coded attribute value.
- Data consistency: Data consistency is the absence of conflicts in a specific swaps database.
Who are the best Swaps Data providers?
Finding the right Swaps Data provider for you really depends on your unique use case and data requirements, including budget and geographical coverage. Popular Swaps Data providers that you might want to buy Swaps Data from are Exchange Data International, FinPricing, New Change FX, Quandl, and xignite.
Where can I buy Swaps Data?
Data providers and vendors listed on Datarade sell Swaps Data products and samples. Popular Swaps Data products and datasets available on our platform are EDI Swap Curves OTC-Data Global - for valuations, portfolio analytics and risk management by Exchange Data International, FinPricing Swap Rate Curve, Basis Curve, OIS Curve Data (Global) by FinPricing, and NCFX Forward FX Benchmark - Live Forex Data for North & South America, Europe, Africa, Oceania by New Change FX.
How can I get Swaps Data?
You can get Swaps Data via a range of delivery methods - the right one for you depends on your use case. For example, historical Swaps Data is usually available to download in bulk and delivered using an S3 bucket. On the other hand, if your use case is time-critical, you can buy real-time Swaps Data APIs, feeds and streams to download the most up-to-date intelligence.
What are similar data types to Swaps Data?